28. September 2018
Obesity is common in dogs with unhealthy diet or lifestyle. As a pet owner, you must keep their weight in check and offer optimum quantity of nutritious meal. It’s completely wrong to feed your dog from your plate or dinner table, because their meal requirement vastly differs from humans.
According to a study, “Obesity accounted for more than 1.3 million of nationwide pet insurance claims in 2016, a 23 percent increase from three years before.”
10 Obesity related conditions
Obesity causes various medical conditions in Dogs. Some of the common conditions are;
- Cruciate ligament injuries
- Intervertebral disc disease
- Chronic renal disease
- Congestive heart failure
Water therapy, also known as hydrotherapy, is a technique of cutting unnecessary body weight.
- In pets, the hydrotherapy helps to focus on their body weight and intensely cut fats.
- The advantage of hydrotherapy is that water is denser than air, hence providing more regression. Using water helps to lose weight at shorter span of time.
- Along with weight loss, water therapy has many other perks for dogs. Regular water therapy helps maintain fitness, strength and condition of body. Being in shape reduces most of the future medical conditions.
- Water buoyancy makes it possible for dogs with joint problems to exercise without any pressure. It is effective for joint and limb problems.
This is Sparky. He recently finished his underwater treadmill therapy for weight loss. He started the therapy on June 5, 2018 and completed on September 21, 2018.
When he was brought in, he weighed the startling 26.5 lbs and at the end of the therapy he weighed only 23 lbs. The hydrotherapy helped Sparky lose 3.5 lbs in 3 months and recover from obesity related conditions, such as osteoarthritis and liver disease.
Beside hydrotherapy, the preventive measures for obesity in dogs are; healthy meal, regular exercise, enough playtime and socializing with humans and other pets.