21. November 2018
Winter is here and so is the most awaited Holiday season. It’s that time of the year when everyone is busy planning holidays and finding ways to have fun with the family.
In all these hullabaloos, pets are more prone to get into accidents. As a pet owner, ensuring a safe environment for your pets is essential.
Dogs and cats tend to scavenge when out of sight. They basically forage on the dustbin, empty plates, and crates. To ensure their well-being you must ensure to keep the harmful food or food items away from them. The most essential thing is to keep the people-food away from them.
- Chocolate is one of the most consumed food items during Holidays, however, it can be very harmful to pets. Chocolate contains caffeine, theobromine, and high-fat contents which are toxic for dogs and cats. Although the toxicity varies based on the type of chocolate, the size of your pet, and the amount they eat, it’s safer to keep chocolate off-limits for pets.
- Keep sweet and baked goods out of their reach. Baked goods contain fats and sugar which is harmful to pets. Artificial sweetener, chocolate, and xylitol contain have been linked to liver failure and death in dogs.
- Turkey and turkey skin are harmful to pets. The fat and garlic content leads to pancreatitis.
- Table scraps such as gravy and meat fat should be kept away from pets. Other items including onions, raisins, and grapes are harmful to pets too. Holiday foods are basically rich in sweetener and flavor. Pets’ digestive system doesn’t allow such food.
- Yeast dough can cause problems for pets, including painful gas and potentially dangerous bloating.
Another essential aspect of holidays is the decorations. The decorations for the Christmas tree, fireplace, lightings and decorative are common forms of decorations which are basically made of plastic, crystal, glass, and other industrial parts.
- Christmas trees can easily tip over if pets climb on them or try to catch the decorations. Consider tying your tree to the ceiling or a fixed pole to provide extra protection.
- Water additives for Christmas trees can be hazardous to the pets. Do not add aspirin, sugar, and chemicals to the water for your tree if you have pets in the house.
- Decorative and Ornaments can prove hazardous to pets. Broken ornaments can cause injuries, and ingestion of the same can cause intestinal blockage or internal damage. Consuming them sometimes require surgery.
- Electric lights can cause burns or electric shock when a curious pet chews the cords.
- Flowers and festive plants such as Amaryllis, mistletoe, balsam, pine, cedar, and holly are among the common plants used in Holiday decoration that can prove to be dangerous and even poisonous to pets
- Decorate candles are attractive to pets. Never leave a pet alone in an area with a lit candle; it could result in a fire.
As the holiday season is here, you should consider taking extra precaution if your own a pet. The pets who roam outside the house have higher chances of countering accidents or mishaps during the holidays.